Data Protection and Privacy
,We need to collect and use personal information so we can provide services and meet our legal obligations. The personal information we use is sometimes basic information such as your names and contact details, and sometimes more sensitive information such as health information. The data we hold includes information about people seeking housing and homeless advice, tenants, leaseholders, users of optional services (such as the assisted gardening scheme), employees (including past and prospective), Board Members, contractors and volunteers.
Any personal information is treated in a responsible way and in line with data protection law. This means we follow the principles of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which are that personal data must be:
- processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner in relation to individuals
- collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes
- adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary
- accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date
- kept in a form which permits identification of data subjects for no longer than is necessary
- processed in a manner that ensures appropriate security of the personal data
These are shortened versions of the Principles. Full information about these and more about data protection law in general can be found on the Information Commissioner’s website.
What we collect, how we collect it, why we collect it and who we might share it with is covered in our privacy notices. Our General Privacy Notice also includes important information about these rights, which all individuals have:
- The right to be informed
- The right of access
- The right to rectification
- The right to erasure
- The right to restrict processing
- The right to data portability
- The right to object
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling.
You can read our privacy notices by clicking on the links below:
- CBH Main Customer Privacy Notice
- CBH Homelessness and Temporary Accommodation Privacy Notice
- 2018 CORE Data Sharing Agreement Annex 1 Privacy Notice
- 2018 CORE Data Sharing Agreement Annex 2 Privacy Notice
For further information about how we handle personal data please click on the links to the relevant policies below:
- CBH Data Protection Policy
- CBH Data Retention Policy
- CBH Information Security Policy
- CBH Processing of Special Category and Criminal Convictions Personal Data Policy
We use Microsoft Office 365 as our email service. The Office 365 environment uses the industry standard Transport Layer Security (TLS) encryption to secure all emails to compatible partners. This standard is a requirement for all government organisations to be part of the Public Services Network (PSN). Colchester Borough Homes makes use of Colchester City Council’s computer network and systems, which are fully accredited to the Public Services Network (PSN).
Subject Access Requests
You have the right to apply for a copy of specific information held about you (known as a subject access request). To help you and to ensure confidentiality, we ask for any request to be made:
- in writing
- with sufficient information to locate the data requested
- with sufficient evidence to confirm your identity
Ways to confirm your identity include showing photo ID (such as driving licence) with a utility bill or other official correspondence to you at your home address.
To make a request, please fill in the Subject Access Request form below. Alternatively, please email email@example.com with the details of your request, or put them in writing to the address below:
Governance Officer, Colchester Borough Homes, Rowan House, 33 Sheepen Road, Colchester, CO3 3WG
Please note: if you want to request information held by Colchester City Council you will need to apply separately. More information is available on the Council’s website here.
Any questions or concerns about your data or your data rights? Please get in touch.
If you have any concerns or questions relating to your data rights, or how we collect, use or store your data, you can raise these with our Data Protection Officer. The joint Data Protection Officer for CBH and CCC can be contacted by email via firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also complain to our Data Protection Officer if you are unhappy with how we use your personal data or how we uphold your data rights. For general advice on submitting a complaint, please see our Complaints and compliments page.
Impartial information about your data protection rights and the law can be obtained from the Information Commissioner’s website here.
DATA PROTECTION – SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST
Application for a copy of personal data held by Colchester Borough Homes. If you require information from Colchester City Council, please email email@example.com.
Fields marked with * must be filled in.
- The information you provide in this form will be used solely for the purposes of processing your subject access request.
By submitting the form, I declare that I am the person identified above and that I will provide to CBH when requested, a photographic ID and a bill, or other official correspondence which shows my name and address.
* Field is required