Select Page

Domestic Abuse

Contact our specialist officers for practical help and advice

Reporting Domestic Abuse

Meet our specialist Domestic Abuse officers:

Our specialist officers can give you emotional support along with practical help and advice with your tenancy and other issues.

We treat every Domestic Abuse incident on a professional and individual basis. We will respect confidentiality and act quickly and sympathetically to anyone experiencing Domestic Abuse.


If you are a Colchester Borough Homes Tenant and would like to report Domestic Abuse or, would like advice, please contact the team on: 01206 282804 or 03300 538014.

If you are not a Colchester Borough Homes Tenant, please contact our Duty line on 01206 580290 or alternatively, contact on 03303 337444 or 01206 500585 or 01206 761276 weekdays 8am to 5pm


If you feel that a crime has been committed or someone is in danger, always dial 999

Jane Crawford

Jane Crawford

Make A Stand logoMake a Stand Pledge

Colchester Borough Homes will be working with colleagues, tenants and partners to meet the four Make a Stand pledge commitments.

Accordion #1
Keeping Safe


Any incidents or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are, or have been, intimate partners or family members regardless of gender. The abuse can encompass, but is not limited to:

  • Psychological: Making you feel isolated, afraid and devalued.
  • Physical: Activity that can cause pain, injury or bodily harm such as punching, restraining, shaking.
  • Sexual: Being forced to do something you don’t want to do. Rape, including threat of rape.
  • Financial: Taking control of your money/ refusing to give money
  • Emotional: Keeping you isolated from family and friends. Undermining your confidence, chipping away at your independence.
  • Controlling Behaviour: Isolating you from family and friends, creating a pattern of control that deprives you of independence and regulates your everyday behaviour.

Domestic Abuse can happen to anyone. Our Specialist Officers can give advice and support working with other agencies to make sure you get the support you need.

Contact our Specialist Officers on 01206 282851 or 03300538029

Safe at Home

We treat every Domestic Abuse incident on a professional individual basis, respecting confidentiality, acting quickly and sympathetically to anyone experiencing Domestic Abuse.


If you want to stay in your current home our Specialist Officers can give you support and advice on what to do next.

They can also talk to you about additional security measures to your home which will help to keep you safe.


If you need to be rehoused we can give housing advice or discuss alternative safe accommodation.  01206 500585 or 01206 761276 weekdays 8am to 5pm

Staying Safe Online

Worried about someone knowing what web pages you have been looking at, there are things you can do to hide this activity.

Use your browser’s privacy modeFind out how to do this
If you select private browsing mode, the browser won’t store your online activity.

Delete browser historyFind out how to do this
All browsers have a ‘history’ or ‘favourites’ tab that list all the online pages visited. Each browser has a different way to clear the online history.

Useful Contacts & Quick Reference

In an emergency always dial 999. Domestic Abuse is a crime, trust your judgement.
Non-emergency – Essex Police Domestic Abuse Central Referral Unit
Dial: 101 Ext 180340 or 08003580351 non- emergency

Sanctuary Scheme
Sanctuary Scheme can help families to stay in their homes. If you are a Domestic Abuse survivor the security to your home can be improved through a variety of measures.
If you live in Colchester contact:
Jane Crawford (Tenancy Sustainment Officer)
Tel: 03300 538014

Housing Options
As a Domestic Abuse Survivor you will need to make the big decision on whether to leave your home.
If you decide to leave you will need to think about where you or your family will live.  If you are not sure about your housing options then you should seek housing advice.
Colchester Housing Options Team
Tel: 01206 282569

A partnership of Domestic Abuse services providing a response in Essex.
Tel: Support line 03303337444

Another consideration you may need to think about are financial concerns. It is important that you seek advice as soon as possible on benefits which you may be entitled to claim.
Tel: 01206 282600

Children who live with domestic abuse also need support.

A confidential telephone and online counselling for children and young people.
Tel: 0800 1111 – 24 hour helpline

The Hide Out
A website giving advice and support to children and young people who suffer abuse.

Next Chapter
Tel: 01206 500585/01206 761276


A registered charity working with victims and survivors of sexual violence and child sexual abuse, giving independent specialist support.
Tel: 01206 769795

Support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT+) that experience domestic abuse.
Helpline: 08009995428 (Monday and Thursday 10am-8pm, Tuesday and Wednesday 10am-5pm, Friday 1pm-5pm

Citizens Advice
Colchester Central Library drop in service Trinity Square, Colchester CO1 1JB
(Monday to Friday 11am-1pm)
Telephone advice 03444770808 (between 9:30am to 4pm Monday to Friday)

Forced Marriage Unit
This unit provides advice who needs help leaving a forced marriage or who is trying to stop a forced marriage.
Tel: 0207 70080151 (weekdays 9am-5pm)
Tel:  Out of hours 020 7008 1500 ask for Global Response Centre

Elder Abuse
Charity giving help and information about the abuse of older people, including abuse by family members and partners.
Helpline: 08088088141 (Freephone)

Women’s Aid
A national charity that works to end abuse against women and children.
Tel: 08082000247 (Freephone 24 hour national domestic violence helpline)

A confidential helpline for male victims of domestic abuse and violence.
Tel: 01823334244 (Weekdays 10am-4pm)

For domestic violence perpetrators, male victims and young people.
Tel: Freephone 08088024040 (Monday to Friday 10am to 1 pm and 2pm to 5pm)